Reporting to the VP of Sales & Marketing, the Marketing Director is responsible for leading our brand marketing team as we continue to build affinity for our brands and brews with consumers, and expand our distribution, which emphasizes the continued growth Sweet Water has achieved. The successful candidate will partner internally with sales, operations, R&D, legal, and other departments to ensure we are positioned through the value chain as one of the top craft brewing companies in the U.S.
The marketing director will focus on chain marketing activities, regional marketing (west), and brand marketing, this role will support the day-to-day marketing operations in these areas including, where relevant, commercial communications, promotions, events, market launches, budget management, agency relations, brewery relations and new product commercialization.
SweetWater Brewing Company is an Atlanta-based craft brewery. Celebrating 25 years of heady beers, it is the 11th largest craft brewery in the nation, according to Brewers Association. If you have what it takes and don’t want to float the mainstream, you’ll be joining a cast of innovative, passionate characters who also support the conservation of some of the nation’s most threatened rivers, streams and coastlines – causes near and dear to the brewery, as clean water is also vital to the creation of their tasty brews.
- Provide Field Sales marketing support – planning, communications, programming/activation and enforcing brand strategy as conduit from brewery marketing to sales team.
- Lead Chain Marketing, collaborating with our national accounts team to build and execute programs and activities relevant to this channel. Support development and execution of national and regional marketing and sales strategies and tactics designed to grow the brand’s market share, volume and profitability.
- Drive marketing support for new/recent markets, planning and execution, driving and supporting brewery’s expansion agenda including the ongoing marketing of new markets in the western US and recently acquired Green Flash and Alpine brands. Manage and drive new markets marketing plans and execution, in tandem with new markets launch team on sales side.
- Responsible for Partnership Marketing. Identify, manage and drive key brand partnership marketing initiatives, cause/charity partner marketing initiatives, community partnerships and key influencer and ambassador partnerships and programs.
- Brand Management/Marketing support across functions. Participate in development of advertising, media and creative, as a support role. Support/management of agency/supplier partnerships relevant to marketing plans/operations, such as advertising, media & social media.
- Support Local Brewery and Community Marketing relevant to building and promoting the brand in the region.
- Commercial Marketing Operations – Liaise with sales force to deliver key communications, drive marketing planning with sales organization and local markets.
- Develop and deliver critical selling tools, assets, and materials.
- Support and drive rollout of programs, innovation/product launches, brand/marketing news and other key brewery initiatives.
- Lead innovation ideation that meets/exceeds consumer interest and delivers an appropriate revenue and margin profile; oversee our stage gate process to ensure we have the right products in the pipeline and ensure that they are commercialized and launched with excellence.
- Own the development of joined up marketing plan with cross-functional marketing team, consolidating and packaging brand programming and activities into cohesive plan that can be shared and communicated for commercial (sales) delivery.
- Manage/Optimize marketing performance. Track, analyze, and report performance and trends / ROI; share performance accountability.
- Budget Management, including brewery and co-op.
- BA specializing in Marketing or related field is required. MBA preferred. An equivalent combination of education and experience maybe considered.
- Minimum of 8 years of marketing experience with direct responsibility for brand, content and innovation strategy required.
- Minimum of 4 years experience leading a high performing team.
- Experience in supplier/manufacturer side with beer, bev alc, or consumer packaged goods.
- Partnership Marketing Experience (may include some form of Brand Partnership, Corporate Alliance, Cause/Charity partner management, and/or Influencer/Ambassador Marketing)
- Thorough understanding of the commercial operations aspect of the business and the importance of marketing’s relationship to field sales from manufacturer/supplier standpoint – knowledge of three-tiered system in beer/bev alc a plus
- Have a strong understanding of promotional marketing program development process & execution, as well as tactics, tools, and activities
- Understanding of digital and social media marketing
- Commercial acumen from marketing standpoint is critical to the position; this role will work collaboratively with the field sales organization as a conduit between brewery marketing and sales team members, including national accounts
- Excellent relationship skills that enhance cross-functional working, are accretive to delivering results, and build camaraderie internally as well as with agency partners through a combination of a collaborative approach, great follow-through and an ability to articulate and influence.
- Creativity and ability to think outside the box.
- Candidate must possess excellent communication skills both verbal, written and presentation.
- Solid analytical skills to uncover insights and opportunities as well as measure investment of resources.
- Positive outlook and demeanor; ability to embrace challenge and support company objectives.
What we offer:
- Health, dental, and vision coverage for eligible employees
- 401(k) plan with matching
- Paid time off
- Monthly beer allotment
- Discounts on SweetWater merchandise and food at our new Taproom